How To Lighten Skin – Healthier Skin Secrets
Many people work hard to achieve fair and flawless skin. All over body lightening may seem taboo, but what about the other cases of hyper-pigmentation, dull skin, uneven skin tone, unwanted tan lines and dark sun spots in areas like your knuckles, elbows, knees, neck, under arms and near private areas that make you feel self-conscious and insecure? These can all be caused by overexposure from the sun, stress, environmental pollution, dry skin, poor lifestyle choices or maybe side effects from medication.
If you want to know how to lighten your skin for any reason , follow these steps to help you achieve a bright and luminous skin glow.
Be sun safe: SLIP. SLOP. SLAP. This seems like a no brainer, but staying out of the sun reduces your chance of getting darker. Just a walk down to the corner shop will halt your skin lightening process. So, if you must venture outside, wear a hat or light jacket with a hoody to assist in blocking out the sun’s rays.
Wear a good sunscreen with high SPF. SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor so the higher SPF the more protection you will get as not only does it protect your skin from harmful UV rays but this will prevent premature aging. Be mindful that sunscreen wears off, so reapplying throughout the day is key. Try and apply this every 2 -3 hours. As ridiculous as it sounds and looks, rubbing the sun lotion onto the skin is not as effective as how you should properly be applying the sunscreen. You should be applying this as a thick white layer of lotion to protect your skin more from the sun.
Not only should you be protecting your skin from the powerful sun, you must stick to a skin care routine that you must follow religiously. There are a lot of lightening creams on the market such as Redist Lightening Cream to regulate discolouration of the skin as well as brightening and lightening the skin tone. It lowers the level of melanin when used regularly. You can even use this as a base before make-up.
How to use: Apply an amount of cream on the area you like to use by massaging it into your skin. DO NOT get this product into your eyes.
If you want to dabble in skin lightening but rather go all-natural you can opt for these lightening formulas for face and body below….
How To Lighten Skin – Remedy 1
You will need:
Fresh lemon juice
- Take three tablespoons of sugar and put that into your bowl.
- Take four tablespoons of baking soda and add that to the bowl too.
- Now add your wet ingredients and two tablespoons of almond oil. Almond oil contains vitamins E, A and B which will seal moisture in skin cells to keep them hydrated and encourages healthy skin cell production. It has a natural SPF of 5. Almond oil is easily absorbed in the skin and does not clog pores.
- Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix all the ingredients together. Mix it until it forms into a thick honey-like consistency so that it sticks to the skin.
- Once you are happy with the paste, apply this onto clean skin and apply a layer on in a patting motion. Ensure that the layer is even.
- Wait for about 30 minutes for the mixture to dry, absorb and sink into your skin.
- When the 30 minutes is up, rub away your dried-up mixture and scrub your skin. Do not be alarmed if you see black flakes, this will be your dead skin cells to reveal fresh new luminous lightened skin.
And there you have it! Please ensure you do not store this product as it is better applied fresh and does not take long to make. If you want to do this on your face, use it at least once or twice a week depending on how sensitive your skin is. As lemon is quite acidic and has high astringent properties, it can easily irritate the skin.
How To Lighten Skin – Remedy 2
You will need:
- Cut your potato in half, peel half and boil it until it is soft enough to mash. Potatoes are good for lightening skin as they contain cotaecholase enzymes which reduces dark spots, blemishes and acne scars, and potassium which hydrates and moisturises the skin.
- Take 1 tablespoon of natural yogurt and combine it with the potato.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon and mix all three ingredients together. It should look like a cream mixture. If you find the mixture too thick then add a little bit of yogurt to thin out the mixture.
- Put this onto your desired areas to form a thick layer. Wait 30 minutes for the mixture to set in.
- After the 30 minutes is up, scrape away the layer and wash with warm water first and then cold water after. You can see the difference in this instantly.
Do this skin regimen three times a week if you have any leftover mixture. You can store this in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze it for 45 days.
How To Lighten Skin – Remedy 3
You will need:
Rice flour (fine powder for sensitive skin)
Milk (You can use powder or the liquid kind)
- Pour 2 tablespoons of rice flour into a bowl. Rice flour has Tyrosinase which controls production of melamine in the skin. It also removes excess oil and sebum from the skin. It also helps brighten the skin by improving the collagen and elasticity in the skin.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of milk. The consistency should not be too thick as you need to be able to smear it all over your face, but not too wet that it drips off your face.
- Rose Water is optional here. Add 2- 3 tablespoons depending on what kind of milk soluble you have used, it is merely for scent, cooling and refreshing properties.
- Take your fan brush and dip it into the mixture. Brush the mixture onto your skin. Apply a thin layer and wait for it to dry.
- Once this layer has dried, scrub at your face like you would using an exfoliator and then wash away with warm water.
- Follow on with your favourite toner, facial oil or moisturiser.
As this is an all-natural and gentle exfoliant you can use this every day to achieve quicker results. But you could do this once or twice a week depending on your skin.
How To Lighten Skin – Remedy 4
You will need:
- Peel the skin off one potato and it into pieces. Put it in a blender.
- Slice a cucumber into pieces with the skin on. Put this in the blender, too.
- Add 5-7 tablespoons of rose water and blend all these ingredients together until there are no lumps.
- Put 3 tablespoons of this mixture into a strainer and extract the juice. With the rest of the mixture, you can put it in a freezer bag or sandwich bag and store store in the fridge for use up to 3 days or in the freezer for use up to 60 days.
- Add one tablespoon of natural honey to your juice and mix.
- Take a cotton bud and dab this mixture all over your face and body.
- Allow the mixture to absorb into your skin for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes is up, wash away with cold water.
Use this remedy three times a week.
Different skin tone complexions respond to these remedies at different rates. What you see happening with someone else may not happen at the same time as you regardless of using the same methods and technique. Consistency is key. You must be diligent and keep on following this skin regime to achieve the best results. Please feel free to comment below on what you think about skin lightening remedies.