Yikes – no one likes dandruff! Let’s understand the dandruff-causing factors better and get rid of the itching fast.
What Causes Dandruff?
The answer to this question includes several causes and risk factors:
Oily skin. Oily skin that is not treated with the correct washing frequency and a proper oily hair shampoo will produce extra cells, flake, and start itching.
Irritated, dry skin. Skin that gets too dry starts itching and produces flakes in a similar manner but for a different reason than oily skin. Oily skin flakes are larger than dry skin flakes.
Insufficient or improper shampooing. Both washing your hair too often or not often enough can give you dandruff. What’s the right balance? Find out your hair type and adjust your cleansing ritual accordingly.
Dermatitis. Red, scaly patches (on the face even), and more stubborn dandruff are consequences of seborrheic dermatitis.
Psoriasis. Psoriasis is a chronic condition that doesn’t go by itself and will produce smaller silvery flakes that resemble a powder.
Eczema. Eczema is sometimes caused by dermatitis. It produces scalp inflammation that requires a dedicated dandruff remedy, usually containing salicylic acid to gently exfoliate the skin.
Yeast-like infections. Persistent dandruff is a sign of a yeast infection. The best dandruff treatment for yeast infections contains antifungal agents. Apart from choosing the correct shampoo, you may need to treat your hair with antifungal creams and masks.
Age. In young adulthood, your hair is oiler, and the scalp is more sensitive to changes. Unless you want to wait several years, hit the nail on the head with a calming anti-dandruff treatment.
Hormones. Men tend to get more dandruff. The most probable reason is male hormones.
All these reasons come down to a distressed, suffering scalp that doesn’t feel or look nice. The good thing is that you can do something about it. Tend to a good haircare routine and use the right dandruff treatment, and it will be gone in no time, leaving you with lustrous looks and a smooth scalp.
Best Dandruff Treatments To Try Now
For most people, it takes some time to identify the best scalp treatment. Unless advised by your doc, you may struggle with the right anti-dandruff product set even more. Let’s ease down the pressure on you – take a look at this dandruff remedy list. Your solution may just be there!
- Natural Look Purify Anti-Dandruff Shampoo: gentle treatment based on pyrithione zinc, an ingredient proven to heal scalp affected by persistent dandruff and hair loss. Use regularly to let the botanical extracts gradually take care of the issue without causing extra scalp stress.
2. Inebrya Cleany Shampoo: Best used as an oily hair dandruff remedy. It regulates excess sebum with orange and lemon extracts and hydrates hair.
3. Totex Cosmetic Therapy Shampoo With Argan: Treat dry skin with argan-infused shampoo and masks to eliminate the reasons for added dryness and nourish your follicles while washing them.
4. Fanola Pre-Shampoo Scrub: Peeling and purifying anti-dandruff treatment to use before the shampoo. Apply and leave it for 3 minutes. Stimulates circulation and prevents greasy dandruff.
5. Mashup Deep Cleansing Shampoo: Contains menthol and amino acids with antiseptic ingredients that leave the scalp feeling fresh and energised.
6. De Lorenzo Scalp Balance Cleanser: Use the Tricho triple product series to solve psoriasis-related dandruff. The product range is free from petrochemicals and made from pure organic ingredients, including marrubium, chamomile flower and fennel fruit extracts.
7. Vitaman Scalp Treatment: To take care of a dry, flaky scalp, use this leave-in treatment rich with anti-oxidant properties. Any man that suffers from dry hair should use some nourishing product, and this one makes things simple because its 100% natural organic formula makes it suitable for everyone.
8. De Lorenzo Scalp Relief: An overnight solution for severe dandruff. It helps sensitive skin shed excessive flakes while sleeping. Who wouldn’t want to wake up with all of their hair problems solved? We know we do.
If you are an eager beaver to abstain from cosmetic products and tackle dandruff at home, you can. But watch out for severe dandruff that may have some underlying condition – you don’t want to worsen the situation over there on the top!
DIY Dandruff Remedies
A staple kitchen ingredient is often the simplest dandruff treatment. Here is a selection of at-home dandruff remedies you can take via your scalp, your gut, and even your brain:
This nature wonder oil that treats so many skin and hair conditions can be used on frustrating dandruff caused by dry skin. Use it for at least eight weeks to improve the scalp condition and naturally ward off inflammation with its antimicrobial properties.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is efficient in fighting seborrheic dermatitis dandruff. It reduces greasiness and itchiness. Be careful what product you use for washing your face and body, as well. Unknowingly, they could be the cause of your itchy scalp. Try a whole body tea-tree wash to avoid this.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apply apple cider vinegar to remove dead cells and reduce dandruff. Apple cider vinegar can even fight a particular type of fungus. Use it diluted to prevent scalp irritation.
You know how they say that you can heal burns, cold sores, and cuts with Aloe Vera leaves and ointments? Well, you can apply the popular succulent as a dandruff treatment, too. Aloe Vera can soothe any inflammation pain and is safe to use and try at home because Aloe Vera sensitivity is rare.
Aspirin is another over-the-counter product you can use as the base for a dandruff remedy. Why? The reason is the presence of salicylic acid in aspirin. Salicylic acid is a common ingredient in the best dandruff treatments, more effective even than zinc pyrithione.
Taking Omega-3 supplements, amping up your probiotics, and managing your stress levels can also help. These dandruff remedies are not strictly scalp-related, so alongside healthy hair, you will witness improved skin condition overall and better gut health. The artistry of modern haircare is to ensure you provide enough nutrients from the inside and the outside.
We are glad if we helped you know what causes dandruff better and shrunk the time you would spend searching. Tell us – is your favourite dandruff treatment on the above list?