Move over glittery eyelids and sparkling lips, we have just discovered the marvels of adding glitter to your beard.
This trend has actually been happening in the drag world for a long time. Many queens love showing off their glitzy and glam personalities using bedazzled beards. However, social media has paved the way for the everyday man after the Drag Queen Superstar Milk and the iconic facial-haired duo The Gay Beards created tutorials. From this, other YouTube channels and aficionados have attempted to dabble in glitter beards.
So without further ado, here is how to rock this trend at your next big event.
Here are a few pointers for all these looks below before we start:
- You should already have your party outfit fitted to avoid messing up your look by taking your shirt over your head.
- For extra precaution, wear a cape so the glitter will not completely ruin your clothes.
- You want to sit outside to avoid a glitter bomb on your floor.
- Try to avoid windy days when attempting this fantastic look.
- Consider using biodegradeable glitter to avoid increasing harmful microplastic levels in the environment.
In the past few years, we have seen the full beard come back into style with the hip and young. This type of look will create the theatre and comic relief of your inner Papa Smurf.
Here are some tips to rock a full glitter beard:
- Trim your beard first. Then, prepare the shape you want to make your beard appear more groomed and neat. We recommend a Wahl Trimmer to create the perfect base.
- For the next step, grab a beard oil or hair gel. Apply a small amount into the palm of your hands and work into all the strands of your beard. This will act as an adhesive.
- Now here comes the fun part, apply the glitter onto your beard. Check out SNS French White Glitter F3 for a sophisticated look. You can also add bonus shine to the beard using Schwarzkopf OSiS+ Sparkler Instant Sparkling Shine Spray.
- Once you have coated your whole beard with glitter and are happy with the shape, gently shake off any loose excess. The final step is generously spraying on hairspray to set your glitter and hair into place.
TOP TIP: For more depth, add another colour of glitter to give more dimension.
CLOSE SHAVEN BEARDS
For the well-maintained with more hair than stubble, here we have your close-shaven glitter beard.
Let's dive into how to achieve this look:
- Your first step is choosing your desired eyeshadow colour and applying this to the beard area with an eyeshadow brush. You want to press and push the pigment into the beard as much as possible. This will give you the base colour. Our recommendations are Kryolan HD Living Colour Pigment Powder Jade and Kryolan HD Living Colour Pigment Powder Jasper.
- Once you have the base colour down, use a children's school glue stick and distribute it evenly in circular motions. You want to only do this bit by bit in small sections because the glue dries up quickly.
- You must do this step quickly because of the fast-drying glue. Press in the glitter like you did with the eyeshadow colour. You can use either a brush or your fingers. The pressing motion will allow the glitter to cling to the glue better than wiping or swiping motions.
- Once you have coated your whole beard with the glitter and are happy with the shape, gently shake off any loose excess and generously spray on some hairspray, such as Schwarzkopf Silhouette Super Hold Lacquer Hairspray
TOP TIP: Do not get glitter anywhere else on the skin as we want a neat and tidy look.
If you do not have a beard or simply want the kids involved, then this will be a hilarious and chaotic good time. It will be enjoyable for kids, but keep in mind you will be cleaning up the glitter everywhere and anywhere afterwards.
Here are the steps for enjoying glitter no-beards:
- Apply primer to the fake beard area.
- Take a lipstick or cream-based eyeshadow pencil to map out your faux beard. Once you have done that, colour in the whole section.
- Use a children's glue stick in small sections using even strokes in small circular motions.
- Once again with an eyeshadow brush or your fingers, use the glitter by pushing and pressing it in.
Top Tip: If you want to go the extra mile, add some decorations like mini ribbons, bows, pine cones, stars, cutouts and more. Furthermore, why not use this look for festive events, such as Christmas, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras, St Patrick's Day and Easter? The possibilities are endless.
If you liked this blog, leave a comment below and tell us what you think. If this blog inspired you to do a glitter beard look, then by all means, please hashtag us at #amrhairbeauty.