Bond-builders are the holy grail of hair care. From salons to households, these restorative treatments are adored because of their transformative effects on damaged strands.
However, choosing the perfect bond-builder is tough. There are countless choices, and each one has its own perks. In this article, we will compare two of the leading options: K18 and Epres.
Everyone knows about the iconic brand K18. After spending decades researching the answer to hair health, the brand discovered what is now called 'K18PEPTIDE' and K18 has been a powerhouse brand ever since.
Its two most popular products are the K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Masks (available in a range of sizes and combo packs) and the K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mist, which restores strength and elasticity in four minutes. With demand increasing, they recently added two types of shampoos to their collection.
Epres is a relatively new brand. Although founded recently, they have begun making waves in the world of hair care with their Epres Bond Repair Treatment. After all, their founder was one of the original co-developers of the famous brand Olaplex.
Epres sets itself apart by offering only one core step, and its signature formula features Biodiffusion technology for continuous restoration for hours after application. Place your bets now in the K18 vs Epres battle over the title of best bond-builder.
What Are Bond-Builders?
Before we study the two brands in detail, it's important to understand what bond-builders actually are. The simple answer is they restore broken bonds in the hair, which are essential for strength and elasticity. However, there is a longer and more interesting answer.
Without treatment, broken bonds cause chronic dryness, dullness and damage that affect the overall appearance of the hair. Regular shampoos, conditioners and masks can only disguise the effects, while bond-builders are a reliable way to heal the source of your hair care woes.
If you are wondering how bonds in the hair are broken, the answer may be somewhat intimidating. According to Healthline, damage can occur due to bleaches that aggressively open hair follicles to dissolve the pigment and dyes that alter hair protein. Straighteners, curling irons and blow dryers are also culprits. Even everyday activities like brushing and improper hair care treatments can cause impairment.
Thankfully, damage can be corrected with an appropriate bond-builder, and we hope to find you the perfect brand by the end of the K18 vs Epres article.
The Background of K18 Hair Repair
Currently, K18 is one of the most acclaimed hair repair solutions available, but the journey to success wasn't easy. The married duo Suveen Sahib and Britta Cox first conceptualised K18 after hearing constant complaints about existing hair care. From offering temporary solutions to causing further damage, the bad reviews convinced Sahib and Cox there was a better way.
With a background in tech, Sahib was drawn to a scientific approach, which is why he decided to connect with a team at the University of Minho Biological Engineering Center. They knew the answer was locked somewhere in the genome of the human protein, and decades later they finally uncovered a bioactive peptide called K18PEPTIDE.
What is K18PEPTIDE?
K18PEPTIDE could restore hair health by slipping into the natural structure and reconnecting broken polypeptide chains. In fact, the brand claims its products are not bond-builders because the bioactive peptide is so unique. Instead of repairing one type of bond, K18PEPTIDE restores along the length and width of the hair fibre. K18 believes in the 'less is more' approach.
That is why their ingredient list is small, and their list of hair care benefits is long. K18PEPTIDE is so effective that every product in the K18 range contains the technology.
The Benefits of K18
Despite the minimal ingredients inside each K18 product, the list of benefits is extensive. With just one use of K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mask or K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mist, the hair is restored to 91% of its original strength and 94% of its elasticity. That means less breakage and hair loss during everyday activities, such as brushing and styling. Incredibly these products work in just four minutes!
Meanwhile, K18 Peptide Prep Detox Shampoo is clinically proven to remove 99% product buildup and 95% sebum buildup. The formula can even remove 76% of copper with one wash, which is important as copper causes weakness, dullness, split ends, flyways and worsened damage from the sun. Finally, K18 Peptide Prep pH Maintenance Shampoo preserves the scalp biome while moisturising and improving manageability. An incredible 91% of users said their hair felt healthier and smoother without being weighed down. As if the long list of benefits wasn't enough, K18 is a 100% cruelty-free brand. They also offer vegan, colour-safe and dermatologically-tested products to cater to all clients.
K18 has excluded parabens, sulphates, silicons, phthalates, sodium chloride, artificial colours and formaldehyde from their formulas.
How to Use K18?There are four types of K18 products: a mask, a mist and two shampoos. Despite the power of the formulas, each one is surprisingly simple to use. Check out the instructions below to see for yourself. K18 Leave In Repair Mask:
- Apply shampoo to the hair and rinse away, but do not add conditioner afterwards. Instead, use a towel to dry the hair until damp.
- Start with one pump of K18 Leave In Repair Mask and distribute throughout the hair from the roots to the ends. Use additional amounts as needed.
- The next step is the most important. Leave the mask in the hair for four minutes, which will allow the formula to activate.
- Instead of rinsing the formula out, style as usual.
- Mist the hair with water to begin.
- Create sections in the hair, and spray these 2-6 times each. Gently work in K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mist.
- Allow the product four minutes to activate, but do not rinse out once finished.
- Gently dry and process as usual.
- Next, shampoo the hair, but skip the conditioner.
- Dry the hair thoroughly with a towel.
- Finish the process by using K18 Leave-In Repair Mask.
- Replace your regular shampoo with K18 Peptide Prep Detox Shampoo. You can use this once per week or as needed.
- Massage the product thoroughly into the scalp to remove buildup.
- Next, rinse the product away entirely.
- Repeat the process as needed.
- Add K18 Peptide Prep pH Maintenance Shampoo to the hair.
- Massage the product in well with a special focus on the scalp.
- Rinse away the lather once finished.
- Repeat the process as needed.
How Much Does K18 Cost?K18 Leave-In Repair Mask:
- K18 Leave In Repair Mask 5ml: $15.50
- K18 Leave In Repair Mask 5ml 3 Pack: $46.50
- K18 Leave In Repair Mask 50ml: $99.50
- K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mask 150ml: $150.
- K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mist 300ml: $300
- K18 Peptide Prep Detox Shampoo 930ml: $253.95
- K18 Peptide Prep pH Maintenance Shampoo 930ml: $239.95
- K18 Leave-In Repair Mask 50ml + Mist 150ml Pack: $194.50.
- K18 Leave-In Repair Mask 50ml + Mist 300ml Pack: $400.
The Background of Epres Bond Repair Treatment
Creating bond-building technology requires a profound understanding of chemistry on a molecular level. After all, the restorative formula is the most important feature for any bond-builder. That is why we're happy to introduce the world-renowned material scientist and creator of Epres: Eric Pressly, PhD.
From developing life-saving pharmaceuticals to inventing the bond-building hair care category, Pressly worked in many different fields. However, his true calling appeared when he realised there was a gap in the market for a high-performance bond-builder without the fuss. When developing his patent-pending product, Pressly prioritised a one-step product for ultimate convenience and a commitment to the health of his customers. Even the impact on the planet was considered during the development process.
We're certainly excited to see this brand grow.
The Benefits of Epres Bond Repair Treatment
Epres Bond Repair Treatment is designed for intensive hair restoration. Anyone dealing with chemical, thermal or mechanical trauma will adore the long-lasting formula, which works by rebonding the hair structure. Using Biodiffusion technology, you will experience continuous repair for hours after application - you can even sleep with the product applied to the hair.
Not only are the benefits for the hair impressive, but the list of ingredients excluded from the formula is too. Epres Bond Repair Treatment does not contain water to minimise the blend, and there is no acid, quat, phosphate, gluten, phthalate, preservative, formaldehyde, sulphate, thiol, pegs, nuts and parabens. The treatment contains minimal ingredients that inspire maximum rewards.
As if that wasn't enough, Epres Bond Repair Treatment is cruelty-free and vegan. You can check out the glowing reviews on their website to confirm the benefits. Professionals don't need to miss out either. Fall in love with Epres Bond Repair Treatment Professional, which can be mixed directly with chemical service products. This product will not affect negatively pH levels, service speed or colour.
How Do I Use Epres Bond Repair Treatment?Epres Bond Repair Treatment:
- Spray Epres Bond Repair Treatment generously onto dry hair.
- Leave the product in for 10 minutes or longer. You can leave Epres Bond Repair Treatment in while you sleep.
- Once you cleanse and style the hair as usual, you can revel in a healthier feel.
- Use 1-2 times per week to create healthier hair.
- Use the pump applicator to add Epres Bond Repair Treatment Professional to your chemical service product.
- The ratio is two pumps of treatment to every ounce of chemical service product.
- Apply the product to the hair.
- Do not use it as a standalone treatment.
How Much Does Epres Bond Repair Treatment Cost?
- Epres Bond Repair Treatment Starter Kit, including one 150ml spray bottle and two 15ml Bond Repair Concentrates: $98.
- Epres Bond Repair Treatment Refills, including two 15ml Bond Repair Concentrates: $70.
- Epres Bond Repair Treatment Professional 325ml: $162.
The Verdict: K18 Vs Epres
Comparing K18 vs. Epres was a difficult endeavour. These brands both offer bond-builders that restore the hair after chemical, thermal or mechanical trauma. They are also vegan, cruelty-free and do not include a host of damaging nasties. Finally, K18 and Epres were both developed by one or more individuals with a background in science, which guarantees a high-performance product that truly works. Yet, there are key differences between the two brands.
For instance, best-selling K18 presents plenty of products to choose from, including K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mask, K18 Leave In Molecular Repair Mist, K18 Peptide Prep Detox Shampoo and K18 Peptide Prep pH Maintenance Shampoo. K18 claims they are more than a bond-builder as K18PEPTIDE repairs more than one type of bond. However, their instructions are slightly more complicated.
Alternatively, Epres offers two products: Epres Bond Repair Treatment Starter Kit and Epres Bond Repair Treatment Professional. There is only one core instruction to make the process easier, and their formula contains unique Biodiffusion technology that restores continuously for hours after application. In addition, Epres Bond Repair Treatment has excluded more nasties from their formulas, including common allergens.
The K18 vs. Epres battle has certainly been formidable, but we hope the comparison has helped you decide the winner. With both brands delivering such high-performance hair care, you can't lose either way.