After flipping through magazines, most people want the gorgeous hair on the front cover. The problem is achieving this can be a challenge. You may need to tackle one or more serious problems, including grease, dandruff, frizz, heat damage, chemical damage, hair loss, grey hair and dullness.
An amazing appearance requires time, money and maintenance. The good news is there are plenty of techniques you can follow and products you can apply to help rejuvenate struggling hair.
Whether you try these methods at home or visit a salon, there is a solution here for you.
1. Fine, Weak & Lifeless Hair
Fine hair is not the same as thin hair. You can have a lot of fine hair because only the strand itself is thin. On the other hand, thin hair refers to having less hair by a square inch on your scalp and rarely gives the appearance of fullness.
Let's dive into the long list of causes and solutions.
Techniques For Preventing Fine, Weak & Lifeless Hair
Prevention is the best cure. Hair is made out of the dead protein keratin, which is difficult to replenish. Weakened hair can even affect the hair growing out of the scalp.
Here is what you can do to prevent this type of problem in the first place:
- Avoid restrictive diets: Take care to feed yourself properly. If you are on a diet that restricts certain food choices, make sure you follow good nutritional advice to get all the nutrients you need. Add supplements if necessary.
- Get more protein in your food: Proper nutrition always requires a solid amount of protein. Your hair is essentially protein. It will start thinning if missing the amino acids that are the building blocks for lustrous strands. Whether animal-based or vegan, include protein as a daily dietary choice.
- Reduce heat application: Excessive heat is another enemy of thick hair. If you cannot completely ditch the hair styling tools (who can?), at least limit use to a few times a week or choose wisely by investing in a hair straightening tool that will show mercy to your hair.
- Massage the scalp with essential oils: Hair growth starts from the scalp, so we recommend massaging the scalp with almond oil, cedarwood oil, chamomile oil, tea tree oil or argan oil. If you don’t know the right amount of pure essential oils, stick to using haircare with these oils in the ingredient list.
- Find a proper shampoo and conditioner: This tip is a no-brainer, but many people make the wrong choice again and again. We recommend Natural Look Expand Volumizing Shampoo and Natural Look Expand Volumizing Conditioner.
- Brush intelligently: Don’t waste all your time and effort caring for struggling hair by brushing forcefully. Choose a flexible ergonomic hair brush, such as Glammar Ceramic Brush Pink Size and KYK Hair Snatch Me Smoothing Brush.
- Get scalp treatments: Apart from regular anti-hair loss products, you can treat your scalp once in a while, perhaps monthly or bi-weekly. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair And Scalp Treatment may be what you need to restore vitality in hair prone to thinning.
The Best Haircare For Fine, Weak & Lifeless Hair
- LANZA HV Thickening Treatment Spray: This bamboo-infused formula is perfect for amping up volume and creating thicker hair. Each strand will be bouncier and fuller after introducing a few sprays.
- Dateline Professional Self Gripping Velcro Rollers: Return bounce, smoothness and volume with these styling tools. Your hair will remain in place without needing roller pins or clips.
2. Oily & Greasy Hair
Our skin is full of pores that secrete a natural oil called sebum. We need this substance to keep hair soft, smooth and manageable. However, sometimes the scalp starts producing sebum in excess, and this leads to greasy hair.
It's time to explore the solutions for this challenging hair type.
Techniques To Get Rid Of Greasy Hair
There are some preventative measures, including:
- Avoid touching and brushing hair too frequently: First things first, lay off touching hair with hands and frequently brushing hair. This will spread grease further down the hair strands and make hair even more greasy.
- Avoid overwashing and scrubbing: Greasy hair could also be a result of overwashing hair. This can strip away natural oils, and the scalp can overproduce oils to make up for the loss. Dry shampoos are a good in-between remedy that can help with the absorption of oils without stripping hair. Users will eventually adjust to this routine and better manage oil production.
- Wash hair with cold water: Hot water stimulates the sebaceous glands and can lead to overproduction of sebum. It is advised to wash hair with cold water for 30 seconds at the end of a shower to remove the shampoo and conditioner. This will seal off the cuticle.
The Best Shampoos For Oily Scalps
- Kerastase Specifique Bain Divalent Shampoo: This balanced formula removes excess sebum from the roots while keeping the ends soft and shiny. Pair with an equally effective conditioner to get clean, silky, and elastic locks.
- Vitafive CPR Rescue Scalp Balance Shampoo: It is not only women who suffer from greasy hair. Men also struggle with this problem, which is why we recommend this balancing shampoo. This gentle formula is ideal for long-term care of an oily scalp at any age. You can also safely apply Vitafive CPR Rescue Scalp Balance Shampoo on coloured hair without worrying about too much colour fading.
- Vitaman Oil Control Shampoo: Male hair has a specific texture and their scalps are generally more prone to sebum overproduction. This nourishing formula is made from a combination of Australian-harvested natural plants to help men retain a clean scalp, such as Kakadu plum, rosemary, and nettle extract.
Dandruff is a very common issue where skin peels off and flakes. People often mistake this as a sign of poor hygiene. Yet, there are many factors that contribute to this problem.
Seborrheic dermatitis can cause severe cases of dandruff. This is when skin becomes overactive, causing the scalp to become irritated and produce extra skin cells. When the skin cells die, they fall off and form dandruff. Other contributors are psoriasis, eczema, dryness, oiliness, improper shampooing, yeast-like infections, age, hormones and more.
So, what are the best ways to treat dandruff?
The Best Dandruff Treatments To Try Now
For most people, identifying the best scalp treatment may take time. You can shop our full range of dandruff treatments, and we will highlight the popular options below.
- Natural Look Purify Anti-Dandruff Shampoo: This gentle treatment is based on pyrithione zinc, which is an ingredient proven to heal scalps affected by persistent dandruff. Use regularly to let the botanical extracts gradually take care of the issue without causing extra stress.
- De Lorenzo Scalp Balance Cleanser: Use the Tricho collection to solve psoriasis-related dandruff. The product is free from petrochemicals and made from pure organic ingredients, including marrubium, chamomile flower and fennel fruit extracts.
- Vitaman Scalp Treatment: To take care of flaky scalps, use this leave-in treatment with antioxidant properties. Anyone suffering from dryness will appreciate the nourishment and hydration. This formula is 100% natural, which makes it suitable for everyone.
4. Sensitive Scalps
A person with a sensitive scalp will experience tightness, itchiness and even pain at the roots. Scalp sensitivity can originate from a few causes, including imbalance of sebum, stress, diet, styling, chlorinated water, sun rays and more.
If experiencing redness, this could be a sign of disorders like eczema or psoriasis.
The Best Haircare For Sensitive Scalps
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair And Scalp Treatment: This treatment will restore dry and damaged hair follicles. Plus, you can soothe the scalp thanks to the presence of panthenol, shea butter and soy protein. This makes Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair And Scalp Treatment an effective hair treatment remedy for itchiness, dandruff and dryness.
- De Lorenzo Scalp Relief: Inspired by Australian rainforests, the anti-inflammatory compounds remove buildup clogging the scalp pores. You can easily relieve the symptoms of dryness, itching, dandruff, eczema, flaking, redness and scaling.
- De Lorenzo Tricho Sensitive Shampoo & De Lorenzo Tricho Sensitive Conditioner: This duo draws impurities out from the scalp and adds essential nutrients. You can even strengthen hair roots, prevent split ends and restore the overall appearance. These formulas do not include irritating ingredients and are gentle on sensitive scalps.
- Malibu C Scalp Wellness Shampoo & Malibu C Scalp Wellness Conditioner: These products are infused with essential oils, vitamins spearmint, eucalyptus and more. You can cool and soothe the scalp with ease.
5. Colour & Bleach Damaged Hair
Dyed hair is exposed to many harsh and damaging chemicals. Even in professional settings, follicles can become dry, brittle and inelastic. This can result in breakage and split ends. Another disadvantage is hair becomes more susceptible to damage from other services, such as perms, straightening services or general hot styling tool applications.
Colour and bleached damaged hair will require plenty of maintenance. In more severe cases, hair may simply need to grow out.
The Best Haircare For Colour & Bleach Damage
- Natural Look Colour Art Shine Spritz: Lock in colour with this easy-to-use spray. The power of native Australian botanicals will provide long-lasting shine and protection from damaging heat.
- Vitafive CPR Colour Anti-Fade Shampoo & Vitafive CPR Colour Anti-Fade Conditioner: This advanced formula seals the colour inside the hair and protects it from fading. Vitafive even repairs, strengthens, nourishes and shields from UV damage.
- Limitless B4 Bond Shampoo & Limitless B5 Bond Conditioner: When you need a high-performance solution, trust this bond-building pair. Limitless B4 Bond Shampoo and Limitless B5 Bond Conditioner repair and strengthen from the inside out.
If you are a blondie looking to protect your hair, make sure you use a blonde toning shampoo to keep your blonde intact.
If your hair is more on the verge of yellow, hit up 18 In 1 Professional Violet Shampoo and 18 In 1 Professional Violet Intense Masque to eliminate those unwanted yellow tones. If orange tones are creeping in, try 18 In 1 Professional Blue Shampoo and 18 In 1 Professional Blue Intense Masque.
6. Dry Hair
Dry hair occurs when hair cannot retain moisture, and the result is not pretty. The condition can lead to dullness, lifelessness, less shine and even breakage.
A range of factors can be responsible, including dry climates, salt water, chlorinated water, washing too frequently, harsh products, dyeing, chemical treatments or regular hot-styling tools.
The Best Haircare For Dry Hair
- Eleven Australia Hydrate My Hair Moisture Shampoo & Eleven Australia Hydrate My Hair Moisture Conditioner: Switch out your old shampoo and conditioner with this ultra-hydrating version. Made in Australia, you can trust the quality of the nourishing ingredients.
- Evo Hydrate The Great Hydrator Moisture Mask: The mask is suitable for dry hair because the combination of nourishing ingredients has a moisturisation effect. You can also detangle roughened hair, add softness, boost shine and reduce frizz. The formula does not include parabens, sulphates and gluten.
7. Frizzy hair
Frizzy hair is the result of a raised cuticle that allows moisture to enter and swell the strand. The problem often gets worse during humidity or rainy days. The major cause of frizzy hair is lack of water. When hair is dry, the strands will absorb more moisture from the atmosphere and will open up the cuticle throughout the day.
It may just be that their hair needs extra hydration and they aren't doing it any favours by continuing to use heating tools and chemicals. Switching to shampoos for frizzy hair may also be a solution, although there is a long list of bonus actions too.
Techniques To Get Rid Of Frizzy Hair
- You are what you drink: The more hydrated their hair is, the less frizzy it will become. So... drink those 8 glasses of water a day!
- Don’t overwash: While hydrating shampoo and conditioner are essential, do not wash hair every day. It is advisable to skip a day or two to prevent stripping away natural oils. Also, avoid hot water or at least seal the hair cuticle with cold water at the end of your shower.
- Brushing hair: If hair is frizzy, avoid brushing when dry. This can damage the cuticle by stretching and causing breakage. A wide-tooth comb is better suited to removing tangles when hair is damp. Then, use a boar bristle brush and brush upside down to distribute the natural oils from the scalp down to the tips.
- Drying hair: Be gentle when towel drying the hair. You should use a soft cotton t-shirt for drying, instead of a rough towel. It is also highly advisable to air dry at least 90% of the hair to reduce heat damage and help retain natural moisture. When using a hair dryer, do not focus on one area too long and consider trying a diffuser to limit heat. A heat protectant spray is another option.
- Don’t over-process hair: Harmful bleaches, dyes, relaxers and straighteners can cause frizz. Anyone wanting these treatments should visit a professional to minimise adverse results.
- Keratin treatments: Intense smoothing treatments will defeat frizz and create incredible smoothness for an extended period. Some formulas can even last up to four to eight months.
- Haircuts: A simple haircut removes damaged hair, although we know many people are not willing to go ahead with this option.
The Best Haircare For Frizzy Hair
- Natural Look Static Free Anti Frizz Trio Pack: Triple your smoothing power with Natural Look Static Free Anti Frizz Shampoo, Natural Look Static Free Anti Frizz Conditioner and Natural Look Static Free Anti Frizz Reconstructive Mask. You will banish frizz and static with ease.
- Vitafive CPR Frizzy Phase 1 Smoothing Creme: Rather than slicking back hair, treat the source of frizz. You can banish unwanted textures and enjoy a slight hold factor with bonus style memory.
8. Heat Damaged Hair
While hot styling tools will make you look amazing, the problem arises when they are overused or used incorrectly. Heat damage can occur through prolonged exposure. Heat damage can even occur during one swipe or curl.
Precautionary measures are required for ongoing maintenance of this hair type, such as restorative products and heat protectants.
The Best Haircare For Heat Damage
- Muk Hot Muk Thermal Protector: This weightless thermal protector spray is designed to protect against heat generated by thermal styling tools. You can even add volume and a non-greasy finish.
- Natural Look ATV Prime Time Heat Styling Foundation Lotion: Create lasting body and root support with this multi-purpose. However, the most important benefit is protection from heated styling tools.
- L’Oreal Professionnel Absolut Repair Gold Quinoa + Protein Masque: With this intense formula, you can reduce hair surface damage by 77% and create 7x shinier hair while leaving a lightweight touch.
9. Straightened & Chemically Damaged Hair
What happens when you chemically straighten hair? The natural bonds are permanently altered to achieve this result and will be difficult to restore. You may need powerful treatments and masks to achieve healthy hair again. Thankfully, we have listed our favourites below.
The Best Haircare For Straightened & Chemically Damaged Hair
Muk Intense Muk Repair Shampoo & Muk Intense Muk Repair Conditioner: This duo delivers the perfect balance of moisture and protein. You can increase hair strength and stop breakage with ease.
Every use means improving shine, manageability and elasticity.
- Olaplex No.4 Shampoo and No.5 Conditioner Duo: You have probably heard about Olaplex. This popular brand pioneered hair repair technology, which means you can use their shampoo and conditioner to transform straightened and chemically straightened hair. Expect strength, moisturise, hydration, shine and manageability.
- Epres Bond Repair Treatment Starter Kit: This spray-on hair treatment works by rebonding the structure of the hair. Enjoy lasting repair that does not wash away in the shower. You can even reverse chemical, thermal and mechanical damage with noticeable results in as little as 10 minutes.
10. Hair Loss
Many people are self-conscious about hair loss. The condition affects a large percentage of men and women, but regaining fuller hair is extremely difficult. Hair loss doesn't just come down to genetics. You could also be encountering reactions to medications, illnesses, shock, stress, hot tools, chemical treatments and more.
Although there is no proven way to slow or reduce hair loss, some treatments may stimulate partial regrowth.
The Best Products For Hair Loss
- Goldwell Dualsenses Scalp Specialist Anti-Hair Loss Serum: By regularly using this serum, you can minimise the risk of hair loss. The powerful formula instantly thickens and sustains the existing hair fibres to create a fuller appearance.
- Natural Look Purify Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo: This nourishing formula targets three core reasons for hair loss. You can cleanse around the follicles to promote growth. Meanwhile, weak follicles are stimulated and reinforced to prevent premature hair fall.
- Hi Lift Hair Fibre: If you need immediate relief from the appearance of hair loss, try Hi Lift Hair Fibre. It will be impossible to differentiate from natural hair with the four realistic pigments. Instantly cover bald spots, thinning and patchiness on all areas over the head.
11. Split Ends
Split ends occur when the shaft suddenly frays or splits. Damage typically appears at the end of the hair but can occur anywhere, even in the middle. The most common causes are stresses from external factors, such as mechanical, physical and environmental areas of life.
You may need to trim their split ends to avoid damaging the remaining healthy hair. There are also treatments for split ends to help nourish and strengthen the hair.
Techniques To Fix Split Ends
While the most obvious solution is to give the split ends a snip, there are some other strategies to prevent them from appearing again in the future and to stop them from climbing further up the hair strand. Here are some solutions you can use to advise your clients:
- Trim: A trim will be the quickest and most effective solution to repair split ends. Some people may be reluctant if they are trying to grow their hair out. They may fear their hair won’t grow after trimming but this is a common misconception and an essential way to promote healthy hair. If they do not trim their split ends, they will continue to snap hair further up the shaft.
- Towel dry hair: Most people aggressively rub their hair with a towel, which can cause the breakage to travel up the hair strand. To avoid this, gently squeeze excess water out of the hair with a towel.
- Blow-drying technique: Some people might jump out of the shower and immediately blast the hair dryer on high heat settings. This can be very damaging, so try air drying as much as possible. You should also avoid blow-drying the tips of the hair, and focus on the middle and root.
- The heat setting of the straightener: It is natural to think the highest heat setting will most effectively dry hair. However, this doesn’t change the straightening process and causes more damage. At the heat of 180 degrees, hair is most mouldable. Any temperature higher than this is effectively just overheating and damaging hair. How? Heat over 200 degrees burns keratin in hair, which is the main protein in hair that keeps hair soft, silky and smooth.
- Heat protective products: If hot styling tools must be used, heat protectant should be applied. These can shield hair from damage caused by hair dryers, straighteners or curling irons.
- Avoid consistent use of elastics: Frequent use of elastics and constant tying can cause hair breakage and split ends. If you need to have hair tied, use the snag-free hair ties from AMR Hair & Beauty. You can also use pins and clips.
The Best Haircare For Split Ends
- Davroe Split Ends Therapy: You can seal split hair fibres and repair fragile ends with this lightweight balm. The secret is the blend of wild orange and white cypress extracts that penetrate deep into the hair. New bonds are created in the keratin structure, which leaves strands stronger and protected.
- Davroe Ends Repair Leave In Treatment: This multi-action treatment will prevent, repair, moisturise and seal split ends. UV filters will even protect your colour.
12. Grey Hair
Grey hair is a natural sign of ageing and occurs when the pigmentation cells responsible for colour (called melanin) are no longer being produced. The rate a person grows grey hair comes down to genetics. Nutritional and hormonal factors can affect hair colour as well as stress.
If you want to push back grey hair, there are products that can help. Let's dive into our comprehensive list.
The Best Products For Grey Hair
- Limitless Colour: The most obvious option to cover grey hair is dye. You can bring colour back for longer, although you should choose your brand carefully. For instance, Limitless is an advanced colour-depositing cream with nourishing ingredients and low levels of ammonia.
- Celeb Luxury Gem Lites: Everyone knows hair dye is long and complicated. However, you can easily disguise grey hair with these colour-depositing conditioners. Choose from brown, copper, blonde, black and more.
- Milk Shake SOS Roots Black: The spray is applied directly to the roots, and the results are instant. Greys disappear, and natural-looking pigment is deposited. Impressively, there is no residue left behind.
13. Dull Hair
Just like a withering plant, the quality of hair shows our health levels. Dullness can be a symptom of poor diet, water intake, chlorine exposure, salt exposure, hard water exposure, chemical services and more. Fortunately, there are many high-quality products for dull hair.
What Causes Dull Hair?
- Water Intake: Dehydration can be a major cause of unhealthy skin and hair. Keep up their water intake, but remember coffee and wine are not substitutes!
- Diet: Overall diet is essential to our health. A well-balanced diet is full of nutrients essential to hair vitality, which means you should eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and lean proteins.
- Exposure to chlorine/salt: Frequent swimmers may have issues with hair looking nice and shiny. Saltwater can be drying, and chlorine can strip the hair of keratin and natural oils. You can protect hair by first rinsing hair with tap water before entering a chlorinated pool. Saturated hair makes it harder for chlorine to penetrate. You can also use leave-in treatment or chlorine care.
- Exposure to hard water: Hard water is high in mineral content like calcium and magnesium. It can cause hair to become dull, dry, tangly and poorly coloured. You can install a shower filter to reduce the impact of hard water or use a lemon/lime rinse to remove buildup. Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Conditioner is another great solution.
- Over-bleaching/dyeing hair: It’s no secret that hair colouring and bleaching are damaging. Over time, these harsh treatments can impact the colour and quality of hair.
The Best Haircare Products For Dullness
- Natural Look Colour Art Shine Spritz: This spray offers instant and long-lasting shine during every application. Natural Look Colour Art Shine Spritz also shields from damaging heat and UV rays to prevent dullness from creeping in.
- Davroe Brilliance Shine Mist: This lightweight spray will boost dull hair and bring out radiant shine without oiliness. The combination of light-reflective technology with plant-derived oils will deliver unbelievable results.