How To Get Wavy Hair Without Heat – Your Complete Guide
As a child, I always remembered asking my mother to plait or braid my hair after a shower and I would sleep in it til the morning after and take it out so that I could have pretty wavy mermaid hair that looked like soft zig zags strands. Little did I know, I was doing my hair a huge favour when I opted to do this in the natural and less harmful way by treating my hair organically. So how to get wavy hair without heat
Isn’t it fascinating to know how far we have come in today’s age where we can just plug in an electronic device and can have the sleekest straightest hair or the most luxurious and bounciest of curls? However, with all the fun and fuss of electronic devices comes heat, and with overuse of heat, there comes damage of the hair. The overuse of heating products can cause breakages, split ends, snapping and dryness of the hair. Back in the olden days, the closest thing to a heating device was a Marcel curling iron. Before that invention, what females used to do was to wrap their hair into rags and sleep on it overnight and surprisingly the curls would last several days.
If you want to save your hair from the damage caused by heating tools, down below are some new modern ways to get your desired curl without heat.
How To Get Wavy Hair Without Heat – Beachy Wave
Youtuber Vivian V shows us how to get her signature wavy everyday hair without heat. You will need only two things to get the lazy girl’s guide to effortless beachy tresses.
You will need
- Hair ties
- Your hair must be air dried for this to be effective. Ensure that your hair is not too wet as the no-heat wavy look will not hold in the hair properly.
- Part your hair in half and take the top layer of your hair. Split that in half and cross it over and then start twist braiding your hair.
- Once you have reached just below your ear, you have two options: Option 1: Continue twist braiding until you get to the end and secure that with a hair tie, or Option 2: What Vivian does once she gets below her ear, she rolls the rest of her hair into a simple bun that she coils behind her ear and secures that with a hair tie.
- Repeat step 2 and 3 on the other side of the hair.
- So you should have two twisted braids on either side below your earlobes. Sleep in it overnight or leave it in for six hours maximum.
- Unravel the hair bun and twisted braids by gently taking them out and separating the curls with your fingertips. Add some hairspray for staying power and to flip your hair back and forth to create volume.
Tip: Do no brush the hair as this will make your no-heat waves frizzy and not defined.
How To Get Wavy Hair Without Heat – Bantu Knot Curls
For short hair boys and girls do not fret, you can achieve tight heatless curls with this gorgeous look done by model and Youtuber Chantal Jeffries.
You will need
- Spray Bottle
- Hair serum
- Alligator clips
- Elastic hair bands
- Silk Cap/Silk scarf
- Apply a detangler cream in your wet hair to ensure your hair is free of tangles and brush that out with a brush.
- After your hair is semi-damp, take a small amount of hair serum and rub that into your hands. Work that in at the ends of your hair to not dry out your hair.
- Take a small section of your hair (clip the rest of your hair away from that section that you are currently working with, with your alligator clip) and spray that section with the water spray to dampen the hair and begin to twist you hair from the root. Continue twisting it all the way down to the end of your hair.
- Once you have twisted that strand of hair you will then lift it up to coil it up against your scalp to create your bantu knot and secure that with an elastic hair band. Repeat this step throughout your whole entire scalp. Ensure the knots are all the same size as you want the curls to come out looking the same size.
- After you have tied up all the bantu knots, sleep in it overnight wearing a silk cap or a silk head scarf to hold the knots in place and to protect them from coming undone. But if you wish to do this look early in the morning and want to wear it out for the evening, leave it in for 10 to 12 hours.
- Unravel your bantu knots and they should shoot out like springs. Further, separate your spring-like curls with your fingers. Hold your hair up with one hand and use the other hand to enter at the centre of the hair near the root, then spread your index finger and thumb to pull apart the curls. This will make the finer curls appear. Do this to all of your springy curls.
- Once all your knots are out, your hair is now curly. You will notice that where your roots are, your hair will be straight and flat, so what you would want to do to liven this look with oomph is to run your hair through your roots and brush through it with your fingers to tease your roots. Pull out any extra curls outwards for more volume.
- Be aware that your hair will look extremely poofy at the start but rest assured that it will drop slightly within two hours. Once your hair is at the desired volume, spray hairspray on it to set the look.
Tip: When it comes to sectioning off your hair, loose curls call for bigger sections of hair, smaller sections of hair call for tighter curls.
How To Get Wavy Hair Without Heat Using Drinking Straws
Brunette beauty youtube sensation Keren AKA beautyklove is known for her DIY hair experiments on her incredibly amazing long hair with useful and everyday items that you can find in the home.
You will need
- Spray bottle
- Bobby pins
- Damp your hair with the water spray bottle and comb your hair to ensure that there are no tangles in it, as this will give you a smoother non-tangle curl.
- Take a straw and wrap your hair around the straw, bend the straw in half (it should look like a tong or a skinny “U” shape) so that you can secure it to your scalp and fasten it with a bobby pin.
- After you have done your whole head, spray a light amount of hairspray to set the hair. A light coat of hair spray will ensure your straw curls are looser and more natural looking. This look is not needed for an overnight job, you just need a four hours maximum to achieve this look.
- Take out all of your bobby pins and unwrap your hair from the straws to reveal a beautiful non-heat waterfall like a cascading curl.
Tip: Do not go crazy with the hairspray as that will give your curls an unnatural look. Less is more.
And there you have it guys! I hope you enjoyed this blog. Please feel free to leave a comment below on how you went with these DIY how-to no-heat wavy looks. We would love to see your solution on how to get wavy hair without heat.