Making the choice on hair care products can be frustrating for many, here I have compiled a guide to help you make the correct choice for you and your salon. Below we’ll explain the difference between Olaplex and Cureplex that will sure to have you thinking.
There has been a huge debate in the professional field of hairdressing about which of these products is best for repairing hair and rebuilding bonds during and after a chemical service. How do they compare? Why would you use them in a service? What types of hair needs a plex? To answer these questions, there are a few things you need to know.
View this post on Instagram
Olaplex vs Cureplex: Which is Better?
Each company claims that they are the best and that their product is better than others. The truth is that both products have there pros and cons. These products both have a repairing component but even with the help of a plex, you can only push the hair so far before it breaks.
Ultimately, you’ll have to select the product that best suits your salon and clients. No matter which product you choose, there’s always going to be a sacrifice. So with that in mind here we go…
Hi-Lift Cureplex- Bond Creator
Cureplex has an advantage over Olaplex and this is price, Cureplex is significantly lower in the price for a similar-sized bottle to Olaplex. The price alone is more attractive to a larger group of salons especially if they are trying to attract their customers who are more budget-minded while still offering some repair and care to the hair during a chemical service. Consider purchasing a bond builder kit to save additional money too.
Most Salons that are not able to afford Olaplex automatically default to Cureplex. If your salon can’t accommodate the price tag of Olaplex than Cureplex can offer you an alternative as a more affordable option. Using Cureplex is easy to do, with a similar process to that of Olaplex.
View this post on Instagram
- Won’t change the strength of the lightener and lifting ability as long as you abide by the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Buffers the existing cuticle ones delivering added elasticity, strength, enhanced condition and softness.
- Launched in 2015 Hi-Lift Cureplex created by M&U Imports VIC Australia, incorporates a revolutionary proprietary complex of naturally derived actives, encapsulated in niosomes:
Innovative delivery technology ensuring 100% penetration into the cortex every time. The Niosomes Complex consists of Soybean IsoFlavones, N-acetyl-L cysteine and Phytoceramide. An innovative AMINO ACID COMBINATION supports the Niosomes actives to LINK IN THE DISULFIDE BONDS.
- Cureplex is compatible with all colouring services, If price is the most important aspect of your service then it’s your best option.
- Offer a range of aftercare products to continue conditioning the hair weekly.
Olaplex- Bond Multiplier
Olaplex is a superior product like no other on the market being the first to launch in the haircare industry and set the bar, used by professionals all around the World. The end results from using this in all your colouring services really speak for themselves. It’s patented single ingredient Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate repairs from the inside out on a molecule level. It’s proven technology can noticeably repair extremely damaged hair in just one sitting. Once Olaplex has assisted in repairing the disulfate bonds and they are aligned and intact you will have healthy, beautiful, shiny and touchable hair once again.
Olaplex is free from the following ingredients: Sulfates, Phthalates, Hemp, Aldehydes, Parabens and Formaldehyde. Olaplex is proud to claim that all its products are produced cruelty-free and are vegan.
View this post on Instagram
In addition to all that, it doesn’t contain copolymers and oils which are present in Cureplex. These two ingredients can’t cross-link disulfide bonds in the hair so might be a little shortcoming of Cureplex
- Olaplex is one of the first few unique hair treatments with patents on the market. It’s able to cross-link disulfide bonds, which a lot of other treatments are not capable of.
- Olaplex has grown a huge social media presence, with over 2 million followers!
- Has built a huge trust in the public’s eye with professionals filming themselves using the brand and the results they have achieved, many professionals have quoted “the results they have gotten for their clients wouldn’t have been achievable without Olaplex.
- Offers a larger range of aftercare products and styling products to help pro-long the treatment and the health of the hair in between salon visits. It does this by building and strengthening the cuticle.
The overall Comparison
Olaplex and Cureplex have different ingredients that make up their plex ranges.
- Olaplex is a patented product that no one else on the market can produce, it also doesn’t contain copolymers, which is the primary ingredient in Cureplex. This ingredient serves as a coating for the hair.
- Olaplex has a larger following and is more popular than Cureplex worldwide.
- Hi-Lift Cureplex is affordable for the salon and client where Olaplex comes with a larger price tag.
- Cureplex is an easier product to sell in all your colour services as the price you would add onto a service isn’t as hefty, therefore you may have a larger number of people saying yes.
It really comes down to performance or affordability.
View this post on Instagram
Finally, Olaplex seems to be a higher quality product. If you are happy to pay the price and educate yourself with the technology behind it, then purchase it. Knowing the layers of the cuticle and some trichology information on how this technology works with the hair and will assist you in selling the additive to your clients’. But if you or you’re client aren’t willing to spare the money, then Cureplex will be your go-to product in which it will still make a difference in the hair it just might not be as refined as Olaplex.
Final Words on Choosing Olaplex or Cureplex
Your decision will come down to two things. Firstly, how well your customer’s know and trust your opinion. Secondly, how much you’re both willing to spend on a product that will protect and treat hair? A plex is great to be used in all colouring, smoothing, perming and lightening services. It’ll leave the client’s hair feeling smooth and looking healthier. It can also be used as a stand-alone treatment to build up the elasticity of the cuticle prior to bleaching or just because the hair can do with a little TLC, as even heat from a styling tool can damage the hair’s cuticle which a plex can assist in repairing.
Choose wisely! don’t let marketing or adverts on social media or Instagram models deceive or defeat good judgment. Educate yourself on the two and really look into the science behind both. Then you can make the right call for you and your salon as well as educate your clients correctly.
If you’re genuinely still confused and not 100% convinced which one will work best for you, purchase both in a trial size and compare them for yourself. You’ll find both products will make a difference in the hair for the better. And always remember to follow manufactures instructions at all times.
- Who Makes Olaplex? Olaplex was founded in 2014 by Dean and Darcy Christal located in California USA. They commercialised a revolutionary patented technology that protects and repairs hair from damage. They distribute Olaplex to hair wholesalers and salon all around the world.
- How does Olaplex work? Olaplex has a proven technology that restores damaged and compromised hair by repairing from the inside out on a molecule level with it’s patented single ingredient Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate. Once all bonds are intact you have healthy, shiny and beautiful hair once again.
- Olaplex for bleached hair? Olaplex was designed to work with all brands of bleach for any lightening services. It will assist in repairing the hair at the same time as the bleach lightens the hair cuticle.
- Is Olaplex Worth it? Many hairdressers that have Olaplex will suggest to every customer when lightening or colouring your hair to add the No.1 into your mix, as it has the ability to restore damaged hair. But honestly, it’s worth adding to your service every time if you take pride in your hair and you want it feeling silky smooth after your salon visit.
- Is Olaplex Cruelty-Free? Olaplex is proud to say their products are all produced cruelty-free and are Vegan. They don’t test their ingredients or finished products on animals. They strive to use safe ingredients in all of their formulations to create quality, non-toxic products for the industry.
This blog post has been written with the help of professional hairdresser Alyce Stallard.